Tuesday, December 01, 2009

12 Days of December Baking - Day 1 - Buckeyes


So exciting to start December off with baking ideas! :) December is a fun holiday filled months - full of parties, get togethers, visitors, etc - and we all know you need fun, new, wonderful goodies to share!
Take this time to bless others - and not eat everything yourself.
I asked a few of my wonderful friends - who are great bakers as well - to share some of their holiday yummies and stories.
Day 1 is from my suite mate here at work. I love having someone to talk to now in the office - and they are great at photography - so I'm learning from her! She tells a story of some yummy, easy Buckeyes and shares her family's recipe: (this is a picture of her husband Jamie and their dog Zorra).

I'm the buckeye of the family (born in Ohio), so these were always made in my honor (or at least that's what I liked to think). And a story that I always think about is one Christmas my brother decided he'd be funny and put a real buckeye amongst the candy ones. Well, my dad would sit down and pop the candies in his mouth without paying attention. So, without realizing it, he grabbed the real one and popped it in his mouth, and almost broke a tooth on it. Needless to say, my brother never did that again; and I think my dad paid more attention to what he was eating.

1 lb. butter or margarine, melted
2 cups crunchy peanut butter
2 ½ lbs. (10 cups) powdered sugar (see note at bottom)
1 Tbsp. Vanilla

Cream well and shape into small balls. Chill one hour. (Makes about 100 balls.)

Coating:
12 oz. chocolate chips
¼ lb. paraffin wax
(to make it easier for coating - you can use the dipping chocolate in little containers by Bakers - I live by those things during the holidays - addition by KD)

Melt chips and wax in top of double boiler. Dip balls in melted chocolate with toothpick, leaving a small area. Place on waxed paper to set.
Note: I usually use creamy peanut butter; either works well. Also, I cut the powdered sugar to 2 pounds so they aren’t so dry. Also, to make them not as rich and sweet, use all natural (no sugar added) peanut butter.

No comments: